Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Hot pongal

Hot pongal is traditional south Indian dish usually made for breakfast.It is served as prasadam in temples. I'm not a great fan of pongal but my dear hubby loves it soo much .So I got the recipe from a friend and tried it out and to my surprise it was an instant success.Eventually I'm also developing a taste towards pongal..:)
Ingredients:
1 cup rice ,
1 cup moong dhal,
5 black peppercorns,
for seasoning:
1tsp pepper powder,
1 tsp cumin ,
4-5 green chillies,
few cashew nuts,
1 tsp mustard seeds,
1tsp urad dhal,
curry leaves,
salt to taste,
2tbs oil/ghee,
1tsp ginger finely chopped,
1tsp turmeric powder
method:
  • Wash rice and moon dhal ,add the peppercorns and cook them in 6 cups water.(1:3 ratio).
  • Mash the cooked rice and dhal mixture ,add salt and keep aside.
  • In a heavy bottomed pan heat oil/ghee and add the cashews and fry a bit.to this add urad dhal,mustard seeds ,cumin seeds in order.
  • Then add chopped ginger , green chillies and pepper powder.Add the curry leaves and turmeric powder and pour it in the rice mixture .
  • Mix well and serve with ginger chutney or chutney of your choice.

3 comments:

Vrinda said...

I was looking for a pongal recipe with black peppercorns,urs looks perfect.thanx for sharing ,will giv it a try...

sree said...

Thank you Vrinda....Sure do try it and let me know how it turned out..hope u like it..:)

sree said...

Thank you Vincent...my pleasure