Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Bitter gourd /Kakarakaya fry


Bitter gourd is one of the most hated curries till I got married.I was kind of devastated when I found out it's my dear hubby's favorite curry... till that moment ..even in my wildest dreams I never thought that some one will be out there with bitter gourd as their favorite....obviously I was wrong.....:) .Now it's a different story I don't say I love bitter gourd but At least I don't hate it now.(thanks to my MIl ..she makes awesome bitter gourd fry).I got this recipe from a friend who happens to be a wonderful cook....
Ingredients:
6 medium Bitter gourd diced,
1tsp turmeric powder,
1 tsp salt,
For powder/podi:
3tbs peanuts ,
2tbs coriander seeds,
1 tbs cumin seeds
For seasoning:
1tsp urad dhal,
1tsp cumin seeds,
1 tsp mustard seeds,
few curry leaves
Method:
  1. Add 1tsp turmeric powder,salt to diced bitter gourd pieces and mix well and keep aside.
  2. Squeeze the bitter gourd pieces .
  3. heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan and do the seasoning adding urad dhal,mustard seeds and cumin seeds and curry leaves.
  4. Add the squeezed bitter gourd pieces and fry till they are cooked well.
  5. Meanwhile roast the peanuts,coriander seeds and cumin separately and make a fine powder.
  6. Once the bitter gourd is fried add red chili powder and mix well.
  7. Add the Powder you made in step 4 and fry for 1 minute.

5 comments:

Ann said...

I love bitter gourd:) It feel so healthy to eat. I love this recipe. sounds yum

Pavithra Elangovan said...

I love bittergaured perfect for sambar and curd rice.. mouthwatering

Saritha said...

It is just opposite sree, i love kakarakaya and hubby hates it,i have never made this after my marriage,when my mom was here got it done by her,i just love this

Anonymous said...

Nice recipe. After knowing the health benefits of Bitter gourd i have starting loving it. Bitter gourd is rich in vitamin A, B1, B2 and c and contains minerals like calcium, phosphorous, iron, copper and potassium.

Bitter-Gourd

Anonymous said...

Nice article as for me. I'd like to read something more concerning this theme.
By the way look at the design I've made myself Companionship in London